...And God said, “Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind, on the earth.” And it was so. The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed according to their own kinds, and trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind. And God saw that it was good...
-Genesis 1:11-12

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Coconut Oil Makeup/stain remover

There are literally hundreds of articles and blog posts about the wonders of coconut oil. Crunchy people everywhere are head over heels for coconut oil, and I am unabashedly on that bandwagon. I'm not going to go into all of the myriad uses there, but I did want to do a quick little post on one of my favorite uses for this magical oil.

I have found that coconut oil removes so many things from hands, face, and even surfaces. I keep my tin of coconut oil  open within easy reach whenever I'm doing my makeup in case I need to quickly fix a mess up or get residue off my hands. It's also great for simply removing makeup at the end of the day.

When I'm done doing my make up my white vanity table is often in desperate need of a clean. My coconut oil definitely comes in handy when cleaning my table. I have found that no matter how much wiping with water I do I can never quite get all the make up off the white surface. So I take a spoonful of coconut oil and rub it into the dirty area in a circular motion, then wipe it clean with a hot wet cloth. Clean as a whistle!


My dad works at an oil refinery, and more specifically with one of the by-products of the refining process called petroleum coke. It's basically just the ashes left over. No matter how carefully suited and masked he is while working around this stuff, he always somehow manages to get it all over his hands and face. It is almost impossible to wash off immediately as well. The other day he came home with completely black hands, and said he had washed them a dozen times. I handed him my coconut oil and had him rub it around and then wipe it off. Even I was amazed at how well it worked! It had completely come off with no staining.

I am also a huge fan of how it doesn't leave oily stains on your clothing like other oils. One time while traveling in the dead of summer I had packed a tin of Coconut oil. I had filled it way too full and it had gotten too warm and the lid was stuck so I had my dad open it for me - not even thinking about how hot it was outside and the low melting point of coconut oil. I think you can see where this is headed. Might I also mention he had a brand new shirt on. Yeah ....
Any who, the inevitable happened, he pried the tin open and the now liquefied contents splattered him liberally. Thankfully after a careful washing, you would have never known, and I have found that to be true in  less drastic circumstances too.


Yay coconut oil.

Have a amazing day ya'll, and if you haven't yet, go buy a jar of coconut oil okay? :)

1 comment:

SisterlyLove said...

So cool! I did not know that it worked so well for cleaning things! I'll have to try it. Thanks Elissa!

Genevieve