...And God said, “Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind, on the earth.” And it was so. The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed according to their own kinds, and trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind. And God saw that it was good...
-Genesis 1:11-12

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Hot Ginger Lemonade {UPDATED}

Throat Soothing Tea Recipe


With all the colds, bronchitis and allergies that we've been through recently sore throats have been rampant. I don't know about you but when I'm under the weather I live on hot drinks. Tea, herbal teas, and hot apple juice.
One of my new herbal hot drinks I call Hot Ginger Lemonade. It's a mash up of several recipes I've seen floating around and I really enjoy it. It even gets an okay-ish from little brother. He made a face when tasting it, but said it was pretty good.
My dad always asks for "that cayenne stuff" when he's feeling under the weather (or sometimes he just likes to drink it when there is a cold going around he doesn't want to catch). I add an extra pinch of cayenne and a little less peppermint for his tastes. that's what's great about this tea, it's so easy to adjust to taste!


So anyway, onto the recipe. The amounts are for one portion

Elissa's Hot Ginger Lemonade

1/2-1 lemon
Fresh Ginger root - 1/2 inch piece sliced thin or chopped or grated
Approx. 8-10 ounces boiling water
1-2 teaspoons dried peppermint or a peppermint tea bag. or a sprig of fresh mint
1 cinnamon stick
a pinch of cayenne pepper
Two teaspoons Raw Honey
{Optional -
1 teabag of black tea (I do this every time, but it isn't necessary)
2-3 Whole Cloves (cloves are great for pain, so if you have any pain associated with colds, allergies or flu like headache, aches, toothache, sinus pressure add a fresh clove or two)
a shot of whiskey or brandy. If I am having trouble sleeping during an illness I add a shot of whiskey, sometimes followed by an herbal steam and go right to bed}
Juice Lemon and place all of the ingredients except honey - and whiskey if using, in a small teapot or glass measuring cup. Pour boiling water over it, cover and let it steep for 5-15 minutes. Pour through a strainer into a mug and add honey -and whiskey if using.
I prefer to remove the mint and cinnamon stick about halfway through to let the other flavors really shine.


*If I'm making more than one cup of my lemonade that day I would save the mint and the cinnamon stick and reuse.


Enjoy and Stay Well!



~Elissa

1 comment:

SisterlyLove said...

thanks for posting this! I'd love to try it! Sounds delicious and healthful!! :)

Genevieve