...And God said, “Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind, on the earth.” And it was so. The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed according to their own kinds, and trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind. And God saw that it was good...
-Genesis 1:11-12

Friday, March 30, 2012

Elderberry Syrup



Sorry for my absence, I've just been busy with life. We've been sick several times lately, our immune systems are so weak, coupled with a warm winter that we seem to catch anything and everything. And now it's allergy season, and plowing/planting season. I love spring, but living in a deep valley during spring with horrific allergies is not very fun. Thankfully our mulberry trees finally leafed out, so no more pollen floating around and I'm starting to feel better. When I don't feel well I love trying new herbal remedies, and I swear by elderberry syrup. If I take it faithfully it definitely shortens the duration of the cold.
I got my latest MRH order a few days ago, this time around I bought some elderberries to try my hand at making elderberry syrup myself. I've been buying elderberry syrup for the past year or so now, and it costs a pretty penny so I thought it would be great to start making it myself. Plus my homemade stuff tastes much better.
I just stuck to the basics this time, elderberries, water and honey. Next time I'll probably add some cinnamon and cloves.
Have you ever made elderberry syrup? What do you put in yours?

The recipe I used is from Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes*



Elderberry Syrup
1/2 cup dried elderberries (1 cup if using fresh)
3 cups water
1 cup honey (I only use 1/2 a cup)
Optional:
1 teaspoon Whole Cloves
Whole Cinnamon Stick
1 Tablespoon dried Echinacea

1. Place dry ingredients in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer over low heat for 30-45 minutes.
2. Smash the beries, strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer and add 1/2 a cup to 1 cup honey.
3. Bottle and store in the refrigerator 2-3 months.

Caution use only blue elderberries the red variety are toxic. Never consume raw elderberries, there is a small level of toxicity that must be cooked out.

During flu season take 1 tablespoon daily. If you are sick take one tablespoon hourly. Safe for children

Enjoy and stay well!
~Elissa

No comments: