...And God said, “Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind, on the earth.” And it was so. The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed according to their own kinds, and trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind. And God saw that it was good...
-Genesis 1:11-12

Monday, March 11, 2013

Honey Skin Care {My Skincare tips Part 2}

Part 2 of my skin care tips!
Honey
As odd as it may sound,  honey is amazing for your skin, I use it for my skin as often as yogurt and oatmeal which is saying a lot! (A post on oatmeal skin care coming soon! And you can find my posts on yogurt here and here

Honey is such a great skincare product!
It moisturizes, heals, cleans, and adds a beautiful glow to you skin. 

Honey as a moisturizer - honey is a natural humectant which means it helps retain moister, making it amazing for your face in particular  You can use honey by itself by smearing on the face and then rinsing of gently with warm water, or you can make a leave-on moisturizer by mixing almond oil and honey. I used to use this faithfully and it is amazing, as odd as it may sound. 


Honey to Clean - honey pulls the impurities out of your skin and is anti-microbial making ideal for cleansing your face and dealing with small blemishes. I use it all the time for a quick cleanup of the pesky blackheads on my nose and whiteheads on my chin. 
To do this I take  a dab of honey on my fingers and let it get very very sticky. Then I rapidly dab it on the blemishes for several minutes. It will gently pull impurities  and the antibacterial properties will help prevent oxidization (what makes black heads black)




Honey for Healing - If you have minor scarring from acne, try a honey mask, or a milk and honey mask - I hate masks, so I've not tried any honey masks, but I sometimes simply apply honey to the specific area and then rinse with warm water after a few minutes. I definitely have noticed lightening of scars using this method.
I've also had good results from honey on my hands - I struggle with extremely dry and irritated skin in the winter to begin with -  and on top of that I unknowingly burned my finger pretty seriously recently (Unknowingly, because I have ridiculously pain-resistant-to-heat hands) I spilled boiling water on it and then burned it on a hot pan on the same day. But unfortunately I didn't realize that I had injured it seriously until I noticed horrible peeling, cracking and nerve damage a few weeks later and realized what had happened. After my poor finger had peeled 5 times, I knew I needed to do something! I smothered my hands and finger especially with honey and left it on for a minutes before rinsing with warm water. I then smothered my hands with olive oil and let it soak in for a few minutes before I dabbed the excess of with a paper towel.  It helped so much and it has only been in the past few weeks that I have started to notice dryness again, so I repeated the process this week and it has again helped so much. Definitely give it a try if you have extra dry or damaged skin! 

I hope y'all have enjoyed part 2 of my skincare tips. There will be more installments in the future!

Thanks for stopping by!

~Elissa




No comments: