...And God said, “Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind, on the earth.” And it was so. The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed according to their own kinds, and trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind. And God saw that it was good...
-Genesis 1:11-12

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Sleep aid herbal pillow

Hey there everyone!
I've been suffering from insomnia lately, so I thought I might share a helpful natural sleep-aid I've found! The insomnia I have is not always the kind where I just cannot get to sleep, though I do have bouts of that as well, but mostly the kind that when I finally *do* fall asleep, it is not a restful sleep, so I wake up late the next day just as tired as I went to bed.Well, after doing a lot of reading, I finally gathered all the herbs I needed to make an herbal sleep pillow! I chose dried Hops flowers, chamomile, lavender, peppermint, and rose buds. I hope to get some valerian soon as well! I made a very flat one that I put under my pillow at night. Putting under my pillow makes it where the scent is not quite so heavy in the air. I have really noticed a difference. It doesn't like just knock me out as soon as I lay down, but I definitely don't toss and turn as much as I did, and it helps me relax so much.
If you suffer with trouble sleeping, I've also found that a cup of tea before bed is always nice. I usually have peppermint, or decaf black tea, but I also enjoy herbal unwind african honey bush. There is also "sleepytime" tea, which I've not yet tried.
I've read that turning off your computer/tv/laptop at least an hour before bed is also a very good thing to do, but I never seem to be able to manage it. Often my only real leisure time on the computer is around 9 or 10 at night, and I usually go to bed around 11 or so. So it often happens that I shut my laptop, and hop right into bed, terrible habit I know!
Anyway, back to the pillow!

The amounts of herbs will vary, depending on what size you make your pillow, but I put half a cup on each herb into mine - skimping on a few of them, and heaping a few a bit higher than half a cup.
I would recommend - as always - to purchase organic herbs if at all possible, or growing your own.

For your sleep pillow you will need the following herbs
Dried Peppermint leaves
Dried Rosebuds
Dried Lavender
Dried Hops Flowers
Dried Chamomile

I purchased the chamomile from Natural Earth Oils on Etsy, and I was very pleased with it! The rest I purchased from Mountain Rose herbs. I know I sound like a salesman for them, but I seriously love their stuff. :)

Other options are
Valerian
Rosemary
Lemon Verbena

You can also add in some essential oils, lavender being the most recommended.

I took two retangles of fabric right sides together, and sewed the seams, leaving a largish gap on one of the smaller sides/ends, that I first turned the pillow out from, and then added the herbs into, and whip stitched it shut. I'll be making another one for a friend, so I'll be sure to take pictures or a video to show you, and I'll be adding pictures of mine to this post, so check back soon!

---

In other news, last week I got my order I talked about in my last post, which was my herbal oils sampler, beeswax, and some containers from MRH!! I am so excited about making my own injur heal salve! Yay!
I have a bruise that I applied the Injure-heal oil onto, and I can't wait to see if it helps. I've got an insanely busy rest of the week, and next week will be pretty crazy too, so I won't be making the salve for awhile, but I'll be sure to post about it, and hopefully I'll be able to get a video, and actually turn the camera on. :)

Well, busy day tomorrow, so I better go.


~Elissa

No comments: